RSS

New series: Highlights from my favorite cookbook

24 Aug

This week I was very excited to get in touch with my favorite cookbook author, Sarah Fritschner. She has written many cookbooks and worked as a food writer for several newspapers, most recently as the food editor for the Louisville Times and Courier-Journal. Since 2009, she has served as the coordinator for the Louisville Farm to Table, created to bring together area farmers and their locally-grown foods with Louisville consumers in their homes, schools, restaurants, and workplaces, bolstering the local food economy.

My favorite cookbook of hers is “Vegetarian Express Lane Cookbook,” We use it several times a week and love the simple, easy-to-prepare recipes that involve 10 ingredients or less. The cookbook includes recipes for main dishes, sides, desserts, soups, pizzas, and more. We eat vegetarian on most weekdays (due to cost mostly, but it does benefit our health, too) and so this cookbook has become indispensable!

I originally bought this cookbook back in college when I had often thought about going vegetarian. Who would have guessed it would be my favorite cookbook for my family of six? We have had this book so long and used it so often, that the pages are turning yellow and we have many post-it flags to mark our favorites! Unfortunately, it is out-of-print. However, you can get it used from various sellers on Amazon, or possibly from your local library.

Since starting this blog, I have wanted to share some of the recipes from this cookbook. Thankfully, I got permission this week from the author to do this! So starting next week, I hope to feature one recipe a week from this great cookbook. I will include pictures of the finished recipes, too!

For more ideas on menu planning and great recipes, check out my posts:

About these ads

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 responses to “New series: Highlights from my favorite cookbook

1. brentk5s

August 24, 2012 at 11:06 am

Let’s hope my execution of these recipes warrants photographs!

• rmk104

August 24, 2012 at 11:27 am

It always does! You are a great cook!

2. Victoria Siegel

August 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I’ll have to check out this book….maybe it’ll be at next week’s JCC used book sale?

Are you familiar with Mollie Katzen’s veggie cookbooks? Her original “Moosewood” cookbook that I have has the same markings of being regularly used! How would you compare the two?

Victoria

Victoria Siegel victoriasiegel@sbcglobal.net

________________________________

• rmk104

August 28, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I have not read or used them yet, but have heard of them. I will have to check it out. The reason I like this cookbook is that unlike many vegetarian cookbooks and recipes in magazines, it does not call for any hard to find or expensive ingredients. Each recipe uses less than 10 ingredients, too! Thanks for reading!

3. Tammy

August 25, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Looking forward to seeing what you make.

• rmk104

August 28, 2012 at 11:07 am

Thanks for linking to my post! Hope you like the next ones!