I love after-holiday sales, even for holidays I don’t celebrate. I have gotten good at finding great deals after Valentine’s Day, Easter, Halloween, Christmas, etc.! The key is to not think about whether you celebrate that holiday or not, but to think about things that might be on sale that you could use. There are many seasonal products that anyone can use regardless of religious or holiday observances. For example, read here to find out what you can get at Easter time: Shop those Easter sales today!
Here is my wrap-up from the post-Christmas sales I hit yesterday.
My regular post-holiday trips are to Target, Michaels, CVS and Walgreens. I also look for any deals at Aldi and Schnucks on any seasonal food items, but those are normally my husband’s errands. This year the Michaels’ holiday items were already on sale when I was there Christmas Eve. I like to look for holiday craft kits that I can hang onto for the following year for my students. Here is what I got this year:
At Michaels I found:
- foam stickers of several types
- an ornament craft kit for the kids’ photos (I used a wreath one this year and the kids loved it.)
- some foam gingerbread men
- some pencil-top holiday erasers I will give with my holiday gifts to my students next year.
Walgreens did not have anything I needed this year, but in the past I have gotten holiday cards, decorated holiday cups for my students, chocolate, stickers, and a cake decorating kit. See my post from last year: After-Christmas sales are great for everyone!
This year, CVS also did not have anything I wanted, although I could have gotten some chocolate, but passed this time! We did, however, find something my son had been wanting on his holiday wish list. He even had some holiday money to spend. He got a radio-controlled car for $6.50 (half off $12.99). They had lots of them and we even went back today to get one for the gift drawer!
We were tremendously successful at Target. I guess I can add it to my list of Why I love Target! I found items not only in the Christmas section, but in the Home section and household aisles. Food items were 30% off and Home items were 50% off. Here is what we found:
The food section is always full of holiday deals: (they were only 30% off now, but still a great deal)
- holiday flavors of m&m’s (peppermint white chocolate and mint dark chocolate, two of my favorites),
- icing (Who cares if my Shabbos dessert has peppermint icing or tree sprinkles?)
- mint chocolate chip cookie mix
- seasonal soft cookies (For $1.74 this makes a nice little treat for my boys.)
- small packaged seasonal cookies (A treat is a treat no matter what shape; we can eat reindeer, too.)
We found the following in the Home section and Stocking Stuffer aisle:
- a Deluxe Board Game set (regularly $20, got for $10; includes 7 games)
- a surround-sound speaker (regularly $10, got for $5; great for our iPods)
- two bath puffs (We always need to replace these and these may hold up a bit better than the dollar store ones. For items you should get at the dollar store, see my post Are “dollar stores” really a good deal?)
As for holiday items you might think are only for Christmas, I found:
- an outdoor extension cord (We needed one for lawn care and Sukkos.)
- mini lights (great for the Sukkah)
- a winter scene craft kit (Last year I found a Superhero scene craft kit during their summer sales and my boys loved it. It made for a great family activity one night.)
This is also the time to look for light and plug timers and any type of extension cords for around the house (good for a variety of purposes). They were all 50% off!
They also had tons of these seasonally-labeled storage bins, expecting that people will need them to store their holiday decorations and supplies. We use them for kids’ clothing and other supplies in our basement. At $6, this normally $7.99 tub was a great deal. I did not get the green and red ones, though!
I was very pleased with all my purchases and may go back next week to see if any other items are marked down even further!
Share your holiday finds in the Comments section. This will help other people think of great ideas for what to do with holiday items!
- Target After Christmas Sales – Schedule of Holiday Discounts! (livingrichwithcoupons.com)
- After Christmas Sales: Getting The Best Bang For Your Buck (alphalambdapisorority.wordpress.com)