I attended the local vigil in St. Louis today to remember the victims of yesterday’s horrific shooting in Pittsburgh. However, I was saddened that not enough was discussed about specific things we can do to help. I know that solidarity, awareness, and hope are very important. However, the practical side of me wants to take action.
Yes, this blog is not a political one, but I would like to use my small influence to spread information. I would like to share a few resources for us all to take action against yesterday’s crime.
1) Donate money and/or blood.
- Check out this great article posted today with links to the Tree of Life synagogue as well as a GoFundMe campaign to support the families and synagogue.
- To donate blood near you, check out the American Red Cross’s Find a Drive tool.
2) Tell your federal and local lawmakers how you feel and what changes you would like to see!
- U.S. Government – Scroll down to Write the President.
- State Senators – Check the United States Senate website that includes websites and other contact information for the current Congress.
3) Preventing an environment of hate:
Check out this great article on Aish.com regarding what else we can do to prevent future violence like this.