RSS

What do you do with all that bread?

20 Mar

We just cleaned out the deep freezer last night to prepare for Passover. We brought up what needs to be eaten before Passover and took down the rest. We discovered we somehow have an overabundance of bread! So what do we make over the next few weeks to eat it all up? Here are some suggestions I came up with that use bread crumbs or bread:

Breakfast:

Overnight Cinnamon Raisin French Toast

Apple French Toast Bake

Stuffed French Toast (from Cooking Light)

Dinners:

Caesar Salad with Croutons – see my post “Stretching your dinner dime… dollar”

Bread Crumb Chicken – I can’t seem to find a good recipe online that uses whole chickens or chicken with bones, but we have a favorite from our local Young Israel cookbook. I will post it separately.

Grilled Cheese

French Toast

Fried Tilapia

Shabbos sides:

Challah Kugel

Broccoli Kugel

Zucchini Kugel

Sweet Potato Cakes

Herbed Bread Stuffing - substitute margarine for the butter (from Cooking Light)

Desserts:

Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce (from Cooking Light)

Mocha Fudge Bread Pudding (from Cooking Light)

Apple and Honey Bread Pudding

These are not recipes we have tried, so leave feedback in the Comments section about your results or other bread recipes you have!

About these ads

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

7 responses to “What do you do with all that bread?

1. Amital at OrganizedJewishHome

March 20, 2012 at 1:47 pm

We make french toast casserole: http://organizedjewishhome.com/2011/07/04/french-toast-casserole/

I also make bread crumbs to use in meatballs or meat loaf, as a breading on shnitzel, and wherever you would normally use bread crumbs.

• rmk104

March 20, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I don’t know which french toast casserole to try first! They all look so good. We have never made shnitzel. Is it hard to do? Thanks for your comments and for reading!

• Amital at OrganizedJewishHome

March 22, 2012 at 6:48 am

My version of shnitzel is constantly changing, but is basically a wet ingredient (usually egg, but sometimes mustard or italian dressing) and a dry crust, basically bread crumbs, a little flour, seasonings (sometimes ginger, sometimes garlic, sometimes just salt), maybe some sesame seeds…you get the idea. Cut the chicken into the size you are looking for, dip in wet, dredge in dry. You can do it again for a crispier, thicker coating.

It’s not hard to do, but since I don’t buy full price chicken unless I really have nothing else, I wait until I can find a good price, and that’s what limits us.

2. brentk5s

March 20, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Good post concept. We do have a surprising amount of bread. I would imagine that schnitzel is not difficult, you need boneless skinless chicken breast…

3. Margo Sugarman

March 22, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I know there are hundreds of different bread pudding recipes out there, but I have one for your that is probably the simplest you can get, and really is delicious. My kids are always excited when I have too much left over challah after Shabbat. Here’s a link to a fourth recipe for bread pudding:
    Chag Sameach!

• rmk104

March 23, 2012 at 10:31 am

I will have to print this one, too! Thanks for reading. I will check out your site as well. I am always looking for new recipes and tips.